Sunday 28 February 2016

Rondo (The Nice, 1967)

"Rondo" is one of the most celebrated tracks from "The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack", the debut album by The Nice. Packed with jazz and classical quotes (Dave Brubeck is credited as one of the authors, Bach is still waiting...), "Rondo" will go into many variations during The Nice's and Emerson's career and also is one of the earliest prog pearls ever. The devilish rythm of this instrumental actually fits into lavish rock shows and the foursome performance surely was a riveting one.

The guys were K. Emerson, L. Jackson, D. O' List & B. Davison.
In short... Emerlist Davjack!
 
What should I choose as my favourite highlights? The guitar solo? Emerson's Hammond? The rythmic cavalcade? The coherent and colourful architecture? Or maybe the short church organ tribute to JSB? That's an impossible choice, IMHO: one has to take it or leave it as it is. I take it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

No comments:

Post a Comment