Wednesday 30 September 2015

The Seventh House (IQ, 2000)

I must admit I wasn't especially fond of this song when I first listened to it, back in the year 2000. But it's been constantly growing inside my soul, so that now it is one of my favourite songs by IQ. And that's saying something! It could be because of Peter Nicholl's disarmingly sincere performance, or maybe because of the neat and convincing guitars, or even because of the keyboards short but effective solo... I really don't know, but of that I'm sure: this is a song passing on me a serene, almost supernatural sense of easiness.

"The Seventh House" was the eighth studio album by IQ (including
"Seven Stories into 98") ...and the first one of the 21st Century!


It's strange, isn't it? There's nothing in the lyrics nor in the music itself actually suggesting such a comfortable feeling, nonetheless a great number of fans and occasional listeners tell me they shared my experience. This song seems to be projected toward a higher and clearer sky. All the tempo and theme changes are so natural and so fluid that I sometimes wonder where on Earth IQ members were when they wrote this song...

No comments:

Post a Comment