Tuesday 13 November 2012

Script for A Jester's Tear (Marillion, 1983)

This is the first track post-70s I talk about in my blog, and it's another important one in my listener's experience. I like Marillion very much, I must confess, both Fish and Hogarth eras and I know they released better songs than this one in terms of coherence, track building and lyrics. Nonetheless, this old song, the title track of  the group's first album, still moves me and digs in my deeper self. The winning point here is the sincerity I perceive in Fish's performance: he is the jester, his heart is bleeding, his tears are flowing. This in not common, especially in prog rock songs.

Mark Wilikinson's cover for the album. 

I also like the three part structure of the song, kind of a mini-suite with a strong coherence both in music and lyrics. It also sounds very scottish (well, Fish always does), full of darkness and smoky, but with an underlying strenght, a smell of ancient nobility and a smell of fierce sorrow. As in the best progressive rock tradition, please enjoy this song with the beautiful and suited Mark Wilkinson's cover art before your eyes. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment